MAJOR MED & MORTALITYHorse mortality & major medical coverage and insurance
We use the top 5 providers recommended by equine veterinarians and hospitals
Whether a horse is purchased for personal or business reasons, ownership represents a significant investment of time, money and resources. While no one likes to think about the potential for tragedy, horses seem to be prone to illness, accidents and injury. Should some peril befall your horse, nothing may ease the emotional burden, but wise planning can help reduce the economic impacts.
Sometimes all that separates a horse from life-saving treatment vs. euthanasia is economics: If a horse owner doesn’t have the money to provide treatment, often the only humane option left is to put the horse down. Fortunately, this situation can be avoided through equine health insurance.
Equine health insurance is available in tow forms: major medical or surgical. Major medical covers veterinary treatment, medication, and surgery due to an accident, injury or illness. Surgical insurance only covers emergency or necessary surgery in a veterinary clinic. Neither covers for routine care (worming, vaccinations, etc.), pre- existing conditions, or degenerative conditions.
Common types of coverage available for horses include:
- Mortality – paid if the horse dies
- Loss of Use – paid on a percentage basis if horse is permanently incapacitated for its
intended use or purpose
- Major Medical – like health insurance, offsets costs of veterinary care
- Surgical – policies which cover specific procedures such as colic surgery
- Breeding Infertility – covers stallions or mares for reproductive failure
- Specified Perils – includes any number of things such as lightning, fire or transportation
Mortality and Major Medical:
This insurance policy protects the owner/lessor against the loss of a horse as a result of a covered accident, injury, illness or disease, while also providing coverage for theft of the horse. The premium is determined by a percentage of the horse’s value, as well as its intended use, breed, sex and age.
Why buy Equine Mortality Insurance?
Horses can be very costly and valuable. This policy protects your investment and gives you peace of mind. You can also expand the protection with the following additional coverage options:
- Equine Major Medical & Surgical
- Emergency Colic Surgery
- Loss of Use for horses that are “showing”
- and much more…